Monday, March 12, 2012

Making Muppets




























Last week we were looking for something appropriate to watch on Sunday. While flipping through titles on netflix, Brett came across a little documentary called "Being Elmo." The kids like to snuggle in blankets with Brett on Sunday morning before we go to church, and so they started to groan about how he always picks a documentary, etc.

The entire family was mesmerized during the entire show! Kevin, "Elmo" started making muppets as a young boy. He put on shows in his neighborhood for the kids and to raise money as part of a benefit for another child. (I didn't sit down and watch it, was doing other things, but I was trying to listen to it.) It tells a great story about this man and his dream and his career. Sesame Street and Jim Henson played a huge part in inspiring him to continue on with his dream.

My son was instantly hooked. He has watched the documentary 3 times. I can't even tell you how many times we google "how to make a muppet". He has watched you tube videos, and in a moment of clarity, I took him to the craft store, and we bought what we could find to start making a muppet. He invited a friend over, and I kept saying, "Don't you want to go outside? It's so nice out there!" in hopes that I wouldn't get roped in to this project.

Well, I helped a little, but they worked on their muppets right in the kitchen so I could thread needles and give sewing tips. Four hours later...the muppets were born!

I love it when kids get inspired!

1 comment:

Gray Family said...

those are some great muppets! I've seen the title on Netfix and wondered what it was about...very, very cool!