Thursday, September 30, 2010

How I cope

To cope with the craziness, I clean and craft. Specifically, I sew.

I made one of these for each daughter to hold her Personal Progress booklets and stuff. It fits right in their scripture holders and it keeps all 3 books together in one spot. I found it on sugardoodle.net. The posts give all the details. I eyeballed it: measured the material with the books laid out in front of me. You could even use a place mat if it's the right size. Simple. Easy. I made one for myself too for my Gospel Doctrine book.

And, I sewed this cute dress. It took months to do. Honestly, it did. The actual sewing took a couple of hours. We went looking for a pattern when we discovered it was really hard to find a modest, cute dress for under $50. Now, I know, this doesn't have sleeves...she will wear a cute cardigan with it. I like that it isn't skimpy straps at the top that will slide all around even under a cardigan. Also, it's long enough. My girls are tall. They need dresses that come to their knees, not just barely cover their thighs!
So, after buying the pattern a few weeks later during the sale (normally $15 pattern, I got it for $2.99). Then using a coupon on another sale, I bought the material for $18.00. Washed the material, and it sat for about a week. Then I cut out the pattern. While doing this, I realized the top is lined. BACK TO THE FABRIC STORE...a few questions later...roughly $2 more. Material was washed, and cut. Then the fun began...I had to redo the whole bodice because I didn't measure my daughter's top, no biggie, second time around was way easier to sew. All said and done, probably made it for about $30.00. I sewed for a couple of hours for 3 or 4 days.
The best part? She put it on and spun around the room! Worth it.

2 comments:

Gray Family said...

you truely amaze me! way cute dress - is this practice for their wedding dresses?

Fun times said...

Uhhh, can you say YW's activity? Those are so cute...maybe you could come teach us how to make the holders?? :) you are so talented. If you ever are bored, Hailey loves to twirl too :)