Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Connie's Crazy Cookie Committment!



















I don't know how I let this happen. Natalie has talked me into doing something that I fear I may regret sooner than later.

She wants homemade cookies every so often for her school lunches. So, I suggested (this must be the summer blues speaking) that I make a different type of cookie recipe for them to pack in their lunches.

"How about a new one every week?" she asked. AND, I AGREED!???!

Yes, I did agree. I thought it would be fun. Then 2 minutes later, I panicked and thought about how I really dislike baking. You have to be exact, it takes time for each tray to cook, and I will eat way too much cookie dough. BUT, then I thought, "Why not? I can wrap like 2 cookies in a snack size ziploc, and freeze them. The kids can grab them and stuff them in their lunch bags. AND, I can measure out the extra dough and freeze it to make later. Plus, I will be that much closer to winning the FUN MOM award. (come on I am not being serious about the fun mom award. Maybe not a 100 percent serious anway.)

So, I tried out a recipe this week. This recipe is from about 60 pounds ago. I had it hidden deep in the dark shadowy corners of my forbidden treats recipes! Hidden, oh , but not forgotten.
Double Chocolate Dream Cookies
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chips (I put in 1 to 1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs for about 2 minutes until fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chips. Drop by round tablespoons unto an ungreased baking sheet. And just try to not stick your fingers in that dough! Bake 8 to 10 minutes until cookies are puffed. (I may have to dedicate an entire blog post to just this cookie dough.)

Or, come by my house, and we can bake the frozen cookie dough that's calling my name!
These are the richest cookies on the face of the earth. So yummy.

Needless to say, I will post lovely pictures and recipes of my weekly cookie making committment. It's my tribute to Julie & Julia. ENJOY! And then go workout after. :)

6 comments:

Fun times said...

Way to go Connie. I will volunteer our family to test the cookies once a week for you, just to make sure they are ok for Nat...:) It's a tough job, but we just want to make sure Natalie is safe. :)

Quast Family said...

You are such an awesome MOM! That is true committment not just on the baking part but not eating them all too! That would be my problem. If you ever get tired of cookies & are interested in trying a no frosted cupcake let me know. I made some black bottomed cupcakes not to long ago and they were a real hit. Of course Caitlin & I decided we must have eaten most of them but oh well. That is what those long walks with the dog are for.

Gray Family said...

I am so glad your camera is back, safe, sound and working! I love your idea for the cookies. My dream is to be a professional chef one day - so I have some great cookie recipes if you need them. And just to brag a little, one of them is one I made up all by myself! Sure wish I lived near you, we would have so much fun baking and eating!

Anonymous said...

The results are in for the FUN MOM award of 2009, and the winner is: Connie Nichols. Congratulations, they look delicious.

Wendy Rich said...

Your Awesome Connie...We do live close, just incase you need an intervention when cookie dough is calling your name. Dustin, the kids, possibly myself could take the bowl from you and dispose of it somewhere else. he he

SawyerSharks said...

Con, i'll be over later tomorrow to try out this weeks batch!