Thursday, February 9, 2012

The One Where I Go On and On and On...

So, I have been substituting for my dear friend who got in a car accident a few weeks ago. She is recovering, and I have been teaching her ELL class (English Language Learners, aka English as a Second Lang.) in a local elementary school. She is resting and doing well, but the demands of teaching are a little too much for her right now.
This is my third week, and I will sub in there next week as well. I work only Wed - Fri of these last two weeks, but I wonder if she will need more time. If so, I will continue helping her out. I work with 1st and 2nd graders. Two of the students are REALLY new to the US and our school system. Sitting for 6 hours is extremely difficult. The hardest part about the job is keeping it fresh, and fun. We have the students who are new to being in a school everyday, sitting down, asking for things and not just grabbing, to those students who were actually born here, but speak fluent whatever language in their home. It is very interesting.
I have "learned" a few things during this whole experience. I have worked more in 3 weeks than I did in 3 months this past fall. Yeah! Cuz I am saving up for our summer of fun including a beach trip in FOUR months, I need/want the MONEY. Anyway, back to what I have learned:
*my husband can do laundry
*my husband and children can figure out for themselves what to make for dinner when they have to be somewhere by 5, and I don't get home til 4:10
*5AM workouts have not KILLed me
*and neither have evening workouts (I miss the gym a lot!) ((On one of my days off, I went and wanted to stay all day, but decided I needed to get other things done and only stayed an hour))
*freezer meals have been a life saver
*whatever I don't get done at night will not get done before I leave for work in the morning, and it's ok!
*silence is golden(I miss the "quiet time" I used to have everyday when everyone would leave the house, not that I want to be away from my family, but just having some quiet time to myself, so nice.)
*I have amazing friends! (Knew this already, but it needs to be posted)
*On that note, I have an amazing family
*Love my cell phone
*Love that my kiddos have cell phones :)
*Love that I ordered clearance bathing suits on line the other day for my daughters (from Lime Ricki Swimwear), and they FIT. And, they are cute!
*When I go to bed at night, I fall right to sleep
*Love waking up Saturday morning around 6 am and realizing I don't have to go to work, and I go back to sleep
*I have been in a type of "survival mode", but I haven't been a crazy lunatic about it
*it'll get done when it gets done (whatever it is)
*whatever I used to stay up late to do, watch, read, will be there tomorrow if I remember it
*my miniature red Book of Mormon fits in my school bag perfectly, and I have had a moment or two to read it
*I love phone calls, but I have learned that an email gets things done just as quickly!
*my little sewing group, ooh how I have missed you ladies and all of our fun projects. I have had some time to think and regroup, and I am coming back in a few weeks with some work needing to be done!
*Longer hair doesn't need to get the full treatment everyday, a pony tail works well. (I have been growing mine out for a few months, and I have a little sprig of a pony tail back there!)
**DRY SHAMPOO is a working gal's best friend. I just ran out of my stuff I bought at the beauty supply store, and I bought Suave this time. Works just as well, has a funny smell at first though but it goes away
*There isn't enough time in the day for teachers to get everything done
*Sometimes, you have to make time to go to the bathroom
*My spanish isn't as bad as you think
*I have underestimated the impact of stickers on little kids. I have a bag full of them right now.
*It's ok to say no. It's actually liberating.
*You see a whole different group of people at the grocery store at 8pm than you do at anytime during the day!
AND,
*A 15 minute power nap in the recliner does my world a lot of good!

3 comments:

Fun times said...

You are Wonderwoman!! And those are all great lessons that I think all women should learn :) Especially the laundry part ;) love ya!

Gray Family said...

I love your little life lessons...I think I learned something just reading it! You go girl!

SawyerSharks said...

hey, busy lady, tried to call you awhile back, now i know why you don't answer! let's talk soon.